The University of Venda is a South African higher institution founded in 1982 during apartheid and transformed in 1994 with the birth of democracy and liberty.
Being a science, technology, and career-oriented higher institution, UNIVEN focuses on leveraging students’ strong points and transforming their weaknesses into a competitive advantage at the international level.
UNIVEN highly encourages diversity which can be seen even in its teachers from all around South Africa and other countries of the world. It is a boiling pot of individuals from diverse backgrounds with different innovative ideas that can influence change and promote development.
- Visit the official University of Venda website at https://www.univen.ac.za/.
- Check the requirements specific to the school to which you will like to apply.
- Fill in all the requirements on the application form as prompted. These include your contact details and other personal information.
- Only submit an email address and phone number through which UNIVEN can communicate with you.
- Attach all the required documents to the application form in pdf format. Then upload them after ensuring that none is missing and there is no additional document in the file.
- If you want to apply to live on campus (campus residence), do so on this application form. Later, you will receive correspondence from Housing and Residence Affairs.
- Submit your application form only after thoroughly cross-checking each section for errors.
- Sit back and wait for your application status.
- Please note that UNIVEN will email/text your student number, which you will use for transactions regarding the university from that day forward.
UNIVEN Application Dates
- The application deadline for undergraduate programmes is the end of July 2021.
- For postgraduate programmes, the application deadline is the end of October 2021.
However, due to the coronavirus and the accompanying instability, UNIVEN may change these dates. Kindly contact UNIVEN for further inquiries using any of the addresses at the bottom of this article.
- A non-refundable application fee R100.
- Proof of payment of the application fees.
- Create an email address with your name and a strong password to accompany it.
- A copy of the 1st page of your Identity Document for South African applicants.
- A passport photograph (one for admission)
- A testimonial of good conduct if you have already been to a higher institution.
- A Matriculation certificate. However, if it is not readily available, bring proof that you comply with all the requirements for the degree for which you desire to register. It can also be a statement of the last school symbol achieved.
- Grade 11 final results with the school’s stamp or Grade 12 certificate if it is available.
- Your academic record if you are a current student at another institution of higher education.
- You have taken the National Benchmark Test (NBT)
- A certified copy of your National Senior Certificate (NSC)
- If you are applying for a diploma, you need an achievement rating of 3 or better in four recognized NSC 20-credit subjects.
- Suppose you are applying for a degree programme. In that case, you need a minimum point score of 26 and an achievement rating of 4 or better in four subjects chosen from the recognized 20-credit NSC subjects.
- Kindly check the NSC subject combination and the level of achievement specific to your programme of choice.
International students have to bring the following in addition:
- A copy of the 1st page of your passport (not your ID card)
- A copy of your study permit
- A copy of your residence permit
- A copy of your medical insurance
- Your SAQA Evaluation Certificate
- Students can only register into UNIVEN if they are admitted into a Qualification / Degree study programme.
- Minimum Initial Payment during registration
- Suppose you are not funded by a loan/bursary. In that case, UNIVEN will require that you pay an upfront registration deposit of at least R 5 000.
- If your application for residence is successful, you have to pay the amount for residence.
- It is mandatory to make pre-payments at any ABSA branch five (5) days prior to registration. Here are the banking details.
Name: University of Venda
Acc. No.: 1000 000 589
Branch name: Makhado
Branch code: 33 414 940
Reference no.: Use your student number or ID number.
The University of Venda study programmes is classified under eight schools. Each school has departments, and each department offers numerous study courses.
School of Agriculture
- Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness
- Agricultural and Rural Engineering
- Department of Animal Science
- Department of Consumer Sciences
- Department of Food Science and Technology
- Horticultural Sciences
- Plant Production
- Department of Soil Science
School of Education
- Curriculum Studies and Education Management
- Early Childhood Education
- Professional Studies
School of Environmental Sciences
- Ecology and Resource Management
- Environmental Advisory and Assessment Unit
- Geography and Geo-Information Sciences
- GIS Resource Centre
- Department of Hydrology and Water Resources
- Institute of Semi-Arid Environment and Disaster Management
- Mining and Environmental Geology
- Urban and Regional Planning
School of Health Sciences
- Advanced Nursing Science
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Nutrition
- Department of Psychology
- Centre for Biokinetics, Recreation and Sports Science
School of Human and Social Sciences
- Social Work
- M.E.R. Mathivha Centre for African Languages, Arts and Culture
- Institute for Gender and Youth Studies
- English Department
- Department of Development Studies
- Department of Communication and Applied Language Studies
- Eskia Mphahlele Centre for African Studies
- Humanities, Management Sciences and Law Foundation Programme
School of Law
- Department of Criminal and Procedural Law
- Department of Criminal Justice
- Department of Jurisprudence
- Department of Mercantile Law
- Department of Private law
- Department of Public Law
- Department of Legal Aid Clinic
School of Management Sciences
- Accountancy and Auditing
- Business Information Systems
- Department of Business Management
- Department of Extended Degree
- Human Resources Management and Labour Relations
- Oliver Tambo Institute of Governance and Policy Studies
- Public and Development Administration
- Tourism and Hospitality Management
School of Mathematical and Natural Sciences
- Computer Science and Information Systems
- Mathematics and Applied Mathematics
- Science Foundation
- Vuwani Science Resource Centre
- Department of Zoology
Tel: +27 15 962 8000