The University of New England (UNE) tops the charts as one of the best in Australia for research and undergraduate student experience. The regional-based university is an excellent institution for preparing domestic and international students for the world that awaits them. It offers students a wide variety of majors and minor combinations, top-notch research facilities, and expert staff. This article provides you with all there is to know about the University of New England, from admission requirements to frequently asked questions and everything in between.
About The University
UNE is an Australian public university located in the city of Maine. The university accommodates over 20,000 graduate and undergraduate students each year. Being a regionally-based institution, they have a solid commitment to rural communities and creating equal social and economic opportunities for students. UNE ranks amongst the country’s best institutions. It boasts of offering students a unique learning experience with an approach geared at producing graduates who can contribute to their communities. The institution offers a range of programs for both domestic and international students that can be divided into three faculties and nine multi-disciplinary fields. The school runs its study programs on a trimester basis with three application deadlines.
UNE boasts of providing students with a relaxed and holistic environment to learn with accommodation facilities designed to meet every student’s needs. Accommodation facilities range from fully catered to apartment-style residence halls. Students can also benefit from other facilities such as a sporting complex and cultural facilities. At UNE, students are taught to be problem-solving researchers and inventors. The goal is to pioneer research that has a global impact while preparing students for the ever-changing world.
Why you should study at the University of New England
UNE is the ideal study generation for most students looking for quality education and the best facilities. If you still need convincing, there are several reasons why you should study at UNE. Some of the reasons to study here include:
- The university promises its students a unique learning experience. Their pedagogical approach prioritises entrepreneurship, innovation, and responsiveness to the community’s immediate needs.
- UNE is located in one of the most beautiful cities in Australia, making it the ideal destination for students who want to study in a relaxed atmosphere. The institution comprises two campuses along the southern coast of Maine which means waking up to a beautiful horizon and golden beaches would be a daily occurrence. Aside from school, students can partake in various outdoor leisure activities. They can also have an immersive feel of their community and surrounding culture.
- Students that complete a degree program from this university are highly employable. UNE is one of the largest private universities in Australia and boasts of a thriving medical college. Students who graduate from here stand a high chance of gaining employment.
To apply to UNE, you would have to meet specific requirements. For undergraduate applications, the applicant must have completed and acquired a high school diploma. For postgraduate studies, the applicant must hold a relevant bachelor’s degree. These requirements apply to both domestic and international students. If you are from a country where English is not the general language of instruction, you will be required to prove English language proficiency.
How to Apply (Domestic and International Student)
Students from all over the world are received at the University of New England every year. For both domestic and international students, the application is easy. Outlined below are the steps to applying to UNE:
- Before you apply
Before you decide to apply here, make sure you can answer the following questions:
- What are the essential application dates
- Do I need an English language proficiency test result?
- Do I need any extra English classes?
- Am I aware of my rights and obligations as a student visa holder in Australia?
If you have a positive response to these questions, you can move on to the next steps of applying to the University of New England.
- Get your documents certified.
You will not be allowed to submit original documents, nor will uncertified copies be admissible. Certified copies are photocopies of original documents that have been authorised as a true copy of the original. Documents can be certified by public notaries, a member of the police force or a barrister and solicitor.
- Submit application
There are several ways to apply to the University of New England. You can either apply online directly to UNE. For this, you would need to fill out an online form. You may also opt to use through an agent responsible for the entire application process. Once everything checks out, you can go ahead and apply.
The application process requires including the documents that will support your applications. For domestic students, you will need scanned copies of your identification documents. You are a domestic student if you fall in any of these categories:
- You hold a permanent Australian humanitarian visa
- You are a citizen of Australia or New Zealand. This also extends to the holders of dual citizenship.
- Be a permanent resident of Australia.
You will need to have certified copies of the following documents attached to your academic transcript.
- Proof of completion of high school education
- Photo page of birth record or passport for international students
- Evidence of English language proficiency for students from countries where English is not the primary language of instruction
- Include any other documents requested in the online forms.
Supporting documents may vary based on the degree program you are applying to. some of the support documents you may need include:
- Written personal statement
- Entrance exams
- Thesis proposal forms
- Performance auditions, interviews etc.
With the UNE, application dates vary depending on how you choose to apply, either directly to the school or through a recognised agent. For students using TAC, check the opening and closing application dates indicated on the website. That notwithstanding, below are the application deadlines for domestic undergraduate students. The school year is divided into three trimesters with different closing dates. They are as follows:
- Trimester 1 – 2022 application deadlines
Applications are currently open. Course work commences on 28th February 2022, while the early application deadline is 18th February, while late entries close on 1st March 2022.
- Trimester 2 – 2022 application deadlines
Applications are currently open. Course work commences on 27th June 2022, while the early application deadline is 17th June, while late entries close on 28th June 2022.
- Trimester 3 – 2022 application deadlines
Applications are currently open. Course work commences on 24th October 2022, while the early application deadline is 14th October, while late entries close on 26th October 2022.
In conclusion, the University of New England stands out for a good reason. The application process for domestic and international students is easy, and their acceptance rate is relatively high. As long as you meet the school’s admissions requirements, you already have your foot through the door. Although admissions aren’t as competitive as most schools, they have a high standard that must be maintained. The institution also stands out for being a distinctive research institution spearheading impactful and innovative research.
Join the affluent community of domestic and international students who walk the halls of the University of New England Australia. UNE ranks amongst the best universities for a co-cultural inclusive student environment and experience. The university is located in Maine, allowing students to enjoy many outdoor activities and indulge in the freshest meals from the best restaurants.
Frequently Ask Questions (FAQS)
- Is the University of New England a good school?
The University of New England is an excellent school with the rankings to prove it. According to 2020, QILT Student Experience Survey of 41 Australian universities, the University of New England ranks 4th for providing a remarkable student experience for undergraduate students and 3rd for the standard of its postgraduate course work.
- Is it hard to get into UNE?
Most students applying to UNE want to know what their chances are. The good news is you stand an 80.7% chance of getting accepted into the university. For every 100 applicants, 81 are accepted. This should put your mind at ease. The school’s admission requirements are easy, and as long as you meet them, you are almost sure of being accepted to study there.
- What is the University of New England known for?
The University of New England is renowned for providing one of the country’s best student experiences and research facilities. The university was ranked 4th in the student experience for undergraduate students. The University of New England strives to grant regional communities quality education and research as a regionally based institution.
- What GPA do you need to get into UNE?
If you are applying to UNE, you must have high school grades above average. The acceptable GPA for University of New England applicants is 3.26 on a scale of 4.0. That said, B students would have it easy to apply, and they are generally accepted.
- Is the University of New England expensive?
The University of New England is not cheap. It would cost you a pretty penny. The average year to graduate with a degree is four years and tuition for each year of study is approximately $47,935, bringing the total amount for a degree to about $195,575. This may be out of your budget and exceed what you are willing to spend for university. The good news is that you may qualify for several scholarships and financial aid schemes.
- Is UNE an excellent medical school?
Applicants considering the University Of New England as a viable option for med school are in the right to do so. The UNE College of Osteopathic Medicine is ranked as one of the best medical schools in the country by the U.S News and World report. It also stands out amongst the top 20 medical schools for producing remarkable caregivers and primary care residents. Take the chance to study in one of the best institutions in the country by applying today.